The ecommerce platform, also known as an online store builder, is the tool that facilitates the development of a strong online store. Whether you want it to be completely custom-built or prefabricated, a dedicated team of ecommerce developers will create a magnificent store for you. By learning about what each platform has to offer and comparing them with one another based on price, features, and integrations, you'll quickly be able to identify the best platform for your business. That's why SYSTEM Integration created this guide, which will provide you with all the information you need to choose a reliable e-commerce platform. Read on!
What is an Ecommerce Platform?
An ecommerce platform is a software that allows you to create and manage an online store. It's the backbone of your business, whether it's a simple store or an expansive marketplace like Amazon.
Ecommerce platforms come in many shapes and sizes, but they all have some common features:
- A CMS (content management system) that allows you to create pages on your website with ease;
- A payment gateway that handles payments from customers;
- Shipping integration so you can easily send products off into the world;
- Marketing tools like email marketing campaigns and social media marketing automation tools;
- The customer support system helps you manage your customers' questions and concerns.
The best ecommerce platforms are flexible enough to handle any type of business, from small mom-and-pop shops to large retail giants. They're also built with the future in mind, so they'll grow with you as your business grows.
Types of Ecommerce Platforms
There are several different types of ecommerce platforms, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. Here's a quick overview:
- Self-hosted ecommerce platforms: These are software programs that you install on your server or hosting account (or in the case of WordPress, on your website). You maintain all aspects of the site yourself, including updates and security. This option is generally considered more flexible than cloud-hosted systems because it gives you more control over how things operate behind the scenes, but it also means that you'll need to pay for server space and web hosting as well as additional staff time if you want someone else to manage these tasks for you.
- Cloud-hosted ecommerce platforms: These services offer prebuilt software packages designed specifically for online stores; they're hosted by third parties such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform rather than being installed directly onto your own servers or web host account.
- Open-source ecommerce platforms: These allow developers around the world to contribute code back into an open-source community project (like WordPress), meaning that anyone can use them without paying licensing fees!
- Third-party solutions: Magento Commerce Cloud provides a range of benefits over open-source solutions, including more secure and scalable architectures, 24/7 support from professional staff, and much more!
Benefits of ecommerce platforms for businesses
Ecommerce platforms offer numerous benefits for businesses of all sizes. Here are Why is e-commerce platform popular among business owners:
- Increased reach: With an ecommerce platform, businesses can reach customers from all over the world, regardless of their location. This can help businesses expand their customer base and grow their revenue.
- Cost savings: Ecommerce platforms can help businesses save money by reducing overhead costs associated with operating a physical storefront. This includes expenses like rent, utilities, and staffing.
- Convenience: Online shopping is more convenient for customers, which can lead to increased sales for businesses. Customers can shop from anywhere at any time, without having to worry about store hours or commuting.
- Improved customer experience: Ecommerce platforms offer a variety of features that can improve the customer experience, such as personalized recommendations, easy checkout processes, and customer support.
- Data insights: Ecommerce platforms provide businesses with valuable data insights that can help them make informed decisions about their marketing, inventory management, and more.
Overview of Global Ecommerce
Global ecommerce has experienced tremendous growth over the past decade, largely due to the increasing popularity of ecommerce platforms. These platforms have made it easier for businesses of all sizes to sell their products online, and for consumers to purchase goods from the comfort of their own homes.
Trends in the ecommerce industry include the rise of mobile commerce, the importance of social media marketing, and the use of customer data to personalize shopping experiences. There has been a shift towards sustainable and ethical practices within the industry, with consumers becoming more conscious of the environmental and social impact of their purchases.
When it comes to ecommerce, there are two main categories: B2B and B2C. While both involve buying and selling products online, B2B ecommerce is focused on businesses buying from other businesses, while B2C ecommerce is focused on businesses selling directly to consumers. B2B ecommerce tends to involve larger transactions and longer sales cycles, while B2C ecommerce is focused on smaller transactions and a shorter sales cycle.
Which country has the biggest e-commerce market?
Currently, China has the largest ecommerce market in the world, followed by the United States and the United Kingdom.  Other countries with significant ecommerce markets include the United Kingdom, Japan, and Germany.
What is the best country to sell online?
The best country to sell online in depends on factors such as the size of the market, the level of competition, and the ease of doing business.
Explanation of the leading ecommerce industries
The global ecommerce industry is highly competitive, with businesses constantly looking for ways to improve their online sales strategies. The leading ecommerce industries include electronics, fashion, and beauty, with each industry experiencing significant growth over the past few years.
What industry sells the most online?
The industry that sells the most online is currently the fashion and apparel industry, followed by electronics and media. 
Online shopping statistics showcase buyers' demographic rank of who spends the most online. Generation X spends the most money online, with an average yearly expenditure of almost $70,000, which is the highest of any generation. While their total cumulative spending power is lower than that of Baby Boomers, they make up for it by shopping online more often. 
Examples of e-Commerce Platforms
Ecommerce platforms are software solutions that allow businesses to build and operate online stores. There are many ecommerce platforms available, each with its strengths and weaknesses.
What are the top 10 eCommerce platforms?
When it comes to eCommerce platforms, there are a variety of options to choose from. Here are the top 10 eCommerce platforms along with their features and benefits:
- Shopify: One of the most popular and biggest e-commerce platform eCommerce platforms, Shopify offers a user-friendly interface, customizable designs, and a range of features including inventory management, payment processing, and shipping options.
- WooCommerce: Built on top of WordPress, WooCommerce is a free eCommerce platform that offers a range of add-ons and plugins for customization. It also offers integration with popular payment gateways and shipping providers for ease of use.
- Magento: A powerful and customizable platform, Magento is ideal for larger eCommerce sites with complex needs. It offers features like multi-store management, advanced SEO options, and a range of marketing tools.
- BigCommerce: A cloud-based platform, BigCommerce offers a range of features including SEO optimization, multi-channel selling, and mobile optimization. It also offers a range of customizable themes and integrations with popular tools like Mailchimp and Google Analytics.
- Volusion: An all-in-one eCommerce platform, Volusion offers features like customizable designs, SEO optimization, and inventory management. It also offers a range of marketing tools like email campaigns and social media integrations.
- Squarespace: While primarily known for its website-building capabilities, Squarespace also offers eCommerce functionality. It offers customizable designs, inventory management, and mobile optimization.
- 3dcart: A feature-rich platform, 3dcart offers features like SEO optimization, multi-channel selling, and social media integrations. It also offers a range of customization options for design and functionality.
- Wix: Similar to Squarespace, Wix offers website-building capabilities as well as eCommerce functionality. It offers customizable designs, payment processing, and inventory management.
- PrestaShop: An open-source platform, PrestaShop offers a range of features including customizable designs, SEO optimization, and a range of payment and shipping integrations.
- OpenCart: Another open-source option, OpenCart offers a range of features including customizable designs, a range of payment and shipping integrations, and multi-currency support.
Which platform is best for Ecommerce?
When choosing an ecommerce platform, it is important to consider factors such as ease of use, cost, scalability, security, and integration options. It is also important to consider the specific needs of your business, such as the number of products you sell, the level of customization required, and the types of payment and shipping options you need.
Why Magento is the Best Ecommerce Platform?
Magento is a widely popular ecommerce platform that has been around for over a decade. It is known to be one of the best ecommerce platforms for middle enterprise businesses due to its versatility and flexibility. Here are some of the advantages of using Magento for your ecommerce business:
- Open-source platform: Magento is an open-source platform, which means that it is free to use and can be modified as per your business needs. This makes it a cost-effective option for middle enterprise businesses.
- Customization: Magento offers a high level of customization, allowing businesses to create unique and personalized online stores. You can customize the design, layout, and functionality of your online store to match your brand's personality and customer needs.
- Scalability: Magento is a highly scalable platform that can handle large volumes of traffic and transactions. This makes it ideal for middle enterprise businesses that are looking to expand their online presence.
- SEO-friendly: Magento is designed with search engine optimization (SEO) in mind, making it easy for businesses to optimize their online stores for search engines. This can help businesses attract more organic traffic and improve their online visibility.
- Mobile-friendly: Magento offers responsive design templates that make your online store mobile-friendly. This means that your customers can access your online store on their mobile devices, making it easier for them to shop on the go.
- Integration: Magento offers seamless integration with third-party applications and extensions, making it easy for businesses to add new features and functionalities to their online stores.
Magento is the best ecommerce platform for middle enterprise businesses due to its customization, scalability, SEO-friendliness, mobile-friendliness, and integration capabilities. If you are looking for a reliable, flexible, and cost-effective ecommerce platform for your business, Magento is the way to go.
In conclusion, choosing the right ecommerce platform is crucial for the success of your online business. By considering your specific needs and carefully evaluating the available options, you can choose an ecommerce platform that will help you grow your business and increase sales.
SYSTEM integration is an eCommerce Development Agency with deep Magento expertise, that offers powerful digital solutions for businesses. We have helped startups and enterprises build, deploy and maintain hundreds of ecommerce projects. Contact us today!